These powders have a special property that creates a textured look of days gone by. After embossing, you simply rub off the special release crystals. The effect is truly vintage...the texture is worn and weathered. Perfect for stamping, scrapbook pages, altered art and polymer clay products. Acid free and non-toxic
ere are some Tips & Techniques from Ranger
for using new Distress Embossing Powders
1. Shake jar before each use to evenly distribute the release crystals.
2. As with regular embossing, use a well-inked stamp to apply ink to your surface, sprinkle Distress Powder onto image, and tap off excess. Emboss with heat tool until powder turns a deeper tone --unlike traditional powders, these will not turn shiny.
3. For best results, it is recommended you emboss with Distress Inks (yes, the dye inks!) or the
Inkssentials Two Tone Big and Bossy Pad (Clear and Black Embossing Ink together in one pad).
Note: If embossing with watermark or pigment inks, you will still get the matte, textured look
and feel from the Distress Powders, but you will have less or no rub off.
4. To distress, emboss image and allow to cool for a few seconds. Lightly rub embossed image with your finger or Cut 'N' Dry Foam to remove the special release crystals. Some colors release more than others, so don't worry if some rub off more or less . . . it's part of the "aged" look.
5. Some Distress Powders look better on light or dark papers. Practice with all of the colors and you'll get a better feel on what to expect when embossed.
6. Try a Double Distress embossing technique. Stamp image with chosen Distress Ink stamp pad and emboss with the coordinating Double Distress Powder color. The bottom ink color will show through as you rub off the powder!
Double Distress Color Chart
Antique Linen / Tattered Rose
Old Paper / Milled Lavender
Tea Dye / Mustard Seed
Vintage Photo / Peeled Paint
Walnut Stain / Weathered Wood
Black Soot / Fired Brick
7. For a textured, aged effect, take a piece of Cut 'N' Dry Foam with Distress or Clear Embossing Ink on it, accent areas of paper, wood or paper mache and emboss with Distress Powders.
8. To create a wonderful combination of color and texture, crumple a tag and hit high points with Clear Embossing Ink using Cut 'N' Dry Foam. Emboss with Distress Powders and allow to cool. Ink another piece of Cut 'N' Dry Foam with coordinating color of Distress Ink and rub over embossed tag. This will remove the release crystals as well as ink the background of the tag -- amazing results!
Experiment and play with different colors and techniques to achieve your desired look!